Team photo


We are BCHC


If you have a safety or welfare concern about a child or adult.

For a child

If you have any concerns about the safety and/or welfare of a child or young person 



For an adult

What should I do if I think I or someone else is being abused? 

If you are a member of the public and need to report Safeguarding concerns to Birmingham City Councils Adult Social Care service for possible abuse or neglect of an adult with care and support needs. 

  • Contact the Local Authority Adult Safeguarding Service: Birmingham City Council's portal for raising the alert online. 

  • Staff will look at referrals made online: Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. If you wish to discuss your concerns please telephone 0121 303 1234. 

  • Members of staff will not be available to respond to online referrals outside of the above times, on weekends or bank holidays. 

  • If you believe that the referral you are making is urgent and needs to be responded to when Adult Social Care staff are not routinely available, please contact the Out of Hours team on 0121 464 9001 or email

  • If you believe your concern is an emergency, or if someone is in immediate danger, you should contact the Emergency Services, call 999. 

  • Additional contact details for Adult Social Care email:

  • See Birmingham Safeguarding Adults Board for further information.



General enquiries

BCHC Safeguarding Team:



Who can I tell?

Who you tell will largely depend on what you want to happen. It may also depend on how recently the abuse occurred. It is advisable to tell someone who you know and trust to be supportive.


Reporting to the police/SARC:

It is your decision whether you want to report the abuse. You can choose to contact your local police directly or get help through your nearest Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC). SARCs aim to provide a pathway of services tailored to meet the needs of victims of rape and sexual assault. They aim to ensure all victims are empowered to make informed choices and are aware of the range of options of support, e.g. Independent Sexual Violence Advisor (ISVA) service, Mental Health Services, Emergency Contraception, and screening for sexually transmitted infections. If you are unsure whether to contact the police a SARC will provide confidential advice. They can also provide forensic and medical examinations, they are able to store the information from these until you decide whether or not to report the assault.  


Contact support agencies

Rape Crisis Centres specialise in rape and sexual assault support. You can contact any of the help lines and / or arrange to see a specialist sexual violence counsellor. If there is not a rape crisis centre in your area, you will be given details of appropriate specialist counsellors


Childhood sexual abuse

Again it is your choice to disclose childhood sexual abuse. If you feel you may want to take this step you could begin by talking to someone you know and trust, or you could talk through your options with someone anonymous and impartial such as through a helpline. These will be able to direct you to the right services that can support you. Another option would be to talk to your GP who would be able to direct you to the appropriate services to support you. Again it will be your choice whether or not you wish to report the abuse to the police.


Disclosing to professionals

If you choose to disclose sexual abuse to a health care professional they will work to support you in the best possible way, getting you the help you need. Health care professionals do have a duty of care to ensure that you are now safe and are no longer at risk of being harmed. If they were concerned that you were still at risk of harm you would be supported to ensure you were protected and that other vulnerable people were also protected. This may in some cases mean a health care worker talking to a safe guarding team.

Our patients and their carers and families are the reason we're here, so we want to hear your views about the Trust and our services.